Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 2 and 3 - Stacey

I choose this project because I was attracted by the project title, Digital Painting. I was curious with what we would be doing as I have never tried it before and would be an opportunity to try it out. Honestly though, it sounded way more interesting then the other projects (in my opinion).

This project depended more of our skill with technology. Photoshop had many tools and functions as it caters to a diversity of users from web designers to movie makers. Selecting a wrong tool would disrupt the picture and you would have to find a way to correct it. I found it very frustrating when these small little mistakes comes out when you are already half way through and have to go back and review what was the mistake. I also did not label my layers and had difficulty locating which layer belongs to which part of the picture. I had to be careful and Prof Martin would help with making things better.

Through this two days I learnt how to use the basics of Photoshop to do a composite. The layers function helps a lot to record the process of your editing to the picture and it is easier to correct a mistake or improve the work. Adding highlights and shadows gave the composite more definition and blends it well. Color dot is one of the highlighting tools and multiply was one of the ways to add shadows. Masking was a very effective tool without destroying the original picture. Liquify stretches the picture and wrap allows you to "fit" the picture more convincingly when combining. With these basic knowledge, it is possible to good composite. However, doing the "best" one would take very long as it is easy doing the rough outline but doing the little details are the ones that make the difference between good and best.

My experience in this project made me consider doing this kind of digital art stuff. I would like to do this as a hobby and can use it to pass time. This project was an insightful and memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment