Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Days 2 & 3 Reflections - Norul

I chose this project because among the other projects available, it seemed the most interesting and allowed most room for creativity. In this project, Photoshop is used as a platform for digital painting, and I've always wanted to try the software. I also liked the freedom of editing and compositing our own photos into whatever we wanted.

Some of the challenges I encountered working on the project is getting used to the tools in Photoshop and keyboard shortcuts. There were many times where I accidentally pressed the wrong key or tool, and it affected my photo composite. I overcame this by memorizing the most important shortcut of all: Option+command+Z, the step backward shortcut. Command+z only enabled me to undo the most recent edit. Another challenge was mixing up the layers. Sometimes I would mix up and draw on the wrong layers. I overcame this by checking every few seconds that I'm editing the right layer.

Through this project, I discovered the many possible uses of Photoshop. These uses can be used for good, but also for bad intentions. Some people might edit someone's face onto someone's body, and create gossip about the person. If posted online, people can be easily deceived and believe what they see. After all, it is common for people to believe what is captured on camera, or so they thought. Photoshop can also be used to distort faces, making them look extremely pretty or super duper ugly. There are many other things Photoshop can do, and although before this I did know not to trust everything on the internet, now I am more alert.

As an individual, I benefitted from this program as I learnt how to use Photoshop from a professional digital painter. I think if I wanted to learn how to use Photoshop outside of this program from a pro, it would be costly.

I aspire to own a copy of Adobe Photoshop and a tablet someday so I am able to explore the possibilities of digital painting on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment